“Finding Your Purpose”
UCM offers an ongoing program which focuses on finding our purpose in life. The program looks at vocation as a living out of a special divine purpose which God has for each of us. In this sense the word “vocation” is used to describe not our career choice but rather the reason God created each of us and gave us life.
That being said, our broad definition of vocation includes the following:
- an understanding that we are all called by God to a way of living and serving
- an inner awareness of how God is directing our lives to serve God’s purposes
- a personal, God-given vision that gives both purpose and meaning to our existence
- our passion for how we serve God which speaks loudly about our reason for being and doing
- a “yes” to God regarding a divinely directed desire for our lives.
We understand vocation as coming to us in a variety of ways, from inner promptings to world cries. And when, as Frederick Buechner put it, “the place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet,” we experience great joy!
The program includes:
- annual large events with guest speakers and a catered dinner
- weekly gatherings with Bible studies and special focus related to finding our purpose
- instructors and mentors who can work with students in their search for clarity
- opportunities to begin living out one’s purpose
It is our expectations that through the program students will achieve the following outcomes:
- develop a clear understanding of vocation
- become aware of their gifts for ministry
- identify the direction God is calling them to live out their purpose
- begin taking the first steps on their journey